Alumni Club of Chicago Board of Directors Nominations
Have some fun building a great alumni community — join the Board of Directors for the Alumni Club of Chicago.
Thank you for your interest in the Alumni Club of Chicago Board. As the regional club, our mission is to grow the connections between the University and its alumni, parents, and friends by building friendships and providing service to alumni, informing others about UChicago, and by keeping alive the role of the alumni in the University's daily life.
About Serving on the Alumni Club of Chicago Board
- The Board consists of 20 to 25 members with approximately three to six new members joining each year.
- Members serve as ambassadors of the Alumni Association.
- Additional information on the current Board is available here.
- Current bylaws are available here.
- To be eligible for nomination, a candidate must have matriculated at the University and earned credit toward one of its degrees.
- A candidate should have a history of leadership, service to the University, and the ability to collaborate and think strategically.
- A candidate should be willing to serve as an enthusiastic ambassador for the University in his or her community.
Board Member Expectations
- Attendance at Board Meetings; The Alumni Club of Chicago holds five (5) board meetings annually, on the second Monday of September, November, January, March and May. While the expectation is that Board Members will attend all scheduled board meetings, at the least, three of the five scheduled meetings must be attended. Attendance may be either in person or telephonically through the Club's conference dial-in.
- Participation on Board Committees; The Alumni Club of Chicago has established a number of committees focused on the overall work and mission of the Club. These committees represent the backbone of the Club and active Board engagement is crucial to the Club's on-going success. Participation in one or more committees as a condition of Board Membership is expected of all Board Members.
- Participation/Attendance at Club & University-Related Events; The Alumni Club of Chicago and its Board are active sponsors and participants in a wide range of University events (a list of current and past events may be found here). Participation principally takes one of two forms: Either event planning by which a Board Member develops and manage a Club-sponsored event or event volunteering for such Club-promoted events as the Harper Lecture Series, Giving Day or PhoenixFest, or general University opportunities such as Homecoming or school-specific programs. As a condition of Board Membership, Board Members are required to participate in at least three Club or University-related events annually.
- Financial Contribution to the University; Each Member of the Board is expected to make an annual cash contribution to the University coincident with the University's July to June fiscal year. Although Board Members are expected to give to the best of their means, there are no restrictions on the amount that may be given, nor on the specific program or activity to which the donation may be made.
Submitting an Application
- Fill out and submit the director nomination form online.
- Self-nominations are accepted.
- All nomination must be received by March 23, 2018.
- Members serve a two-year term, which begins on July 1, with a “mutual option” for a second two-year term.
- New members and nominators will be notified of their selection by late May. All new members are invited to the Alumni Club of Chicago June Dinner.