Application Open February 1-29
Alumni Club of Chicago Board application
Alumni Clubs are volunteer-driven organizations that reflect alumni—no matter where they live. Through the activities of chapters, we are able to engage and connect with a higher number of alumni than the Alumni Association and the Alumni Association Board could do through its individual efforts.
Apply to Serve
Alumni Club of Chicago Board Directors serve as ambassadors of the University of Chicago Alumni Association by building programs that support lifelong connections to alumni by attending and/or hosting regional events. Directors serve a two-year term and may be eligible to serve up to 3 additional, consecutive terms. The number of vacant seats each year varies based on returning board directors and expiring terms. Candidates are notified of their nomination to the board at the end of May and the term begins July 1, 2020. Applications will be accepted until February 29, 2020.
Being a Board Director
In order to carry out its mission to build a reciprocally beneficial relationship between the University of Chicago and its Alumni; Directors commit to enthusiastically advocate and support its activities and also take an active role in the life of the university. While the Board understands that its Directors will have varied interests and strengths, Directors are expected to meet the standards of participation outlined below.
- Must have matriculated at the University and earned credit toward one of its degrees.
- Must live in the Chicagoland area.
- Attend three Board meetings per year in person
- Participate actively on a Board Committee
- Attend a minimum of three (3) Club & University-related events
- Make a financial contribution to the University annually
- Complete Alumni Association volunteer and Board training
Considerations for Applicant Selection
Each spring the Board Nominations Committee selects candidates to serve on the Alumni Club of Chicago Board. These criteria include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Involvement with UChicago since graduation. The committee gives significant weight to this criteria, particularly recent involvement with UChicago and demonstrated leadership.
- Diversity, including diversity of gender, race, ethnicity, course of study at UChicago, and profession or other work-related activity. While it is difficult to represent each of these areas with a 25-member Board, the committee considers all of these types of diversity.
- Class year and degree types (i.e., undergraduate and/or graduate). The board serves the interests of all alumni, and therefore the committee seeks to select board directors that represent as many schools and courses of study as possible.
- Regular financial support of UChicago, without considering the amount given. The board is not a fundraising body, but regular financial support of UChicago (to any area of the university and in any amount) demonstrates a continued commitment to the institution.
- Applicants are cordially invited to attend and meet the current board directors mixer. The event will take place March 9, 2020 at 7pm. Applicants will receive an invitation with the logistics (event to be held downtown) upon conclusion of the application period.
Timeline and Process
- Applications are accepted February 1 - February 29, 2020.
- Applicants and current board mixer on March 9, 2020.
- The nomination committee reviews applications mid-April and presents slates of nominees to the full Alumni Club of Chicago Board in May.
- Applicants will be notified regarding the committee's decisions by the end of May, and new members are encouraged to attend Alumni Weekend June 4-June 7, 2020 and the board annual dinner, held mid-June.